Tuesday 16 September 2014

Task 1- Researching the Traditional ''Moving Image''

Unit 53: 2D Animation Production


Phenakistoscope  history.


The phenakistoscope was invented independently by a Belgian physicist Joseph Plateau. And by an Austrian physicist Simon Ritter Von Stampfer. Stampfer designed the patent for what he called the stroboscopic disk. It was a disk with many slots and pictures.

Thaumatrope history



The Thaumatrope is a Victorian-made toy. It was constructed as a simple disk or as a simple card. There was a picture on each slide of the card. When it was spun, the images combined together. John Ayrton Paris invented the Thaumatrope in 1825. John Ayrton Paris later died in 1856.


Zoetrope history


The Zoetrope is an animated toy that was invented in the 1830’. It produces the illusion of motion from still images. It is a cylinder with vertical slits. It has a strip of images from the inside. You spin the cylinder and then you look through the slits. and see the pictures moving. The device was created by the English mathematician William George Horner in 1833.

The choreutoscope.


The Choreutoscope is the very first pre-cinema device. It is a device to employ the same principle as the cinematrograph, an early film camera and projector. Each slide is drawn by hand-crank across a viewing pane. A synchronized guillotine shutter was used inside the choreutoscope, which closes the pane between images on the slide. The device was invented in 1866 by English physician Lionel Smith Beale.


My top 3 animations.


Hercules (Disney film)

I love Hercules, because I have an interest in ancient history. I love the stories of legendary heroes like Hercules or Robin Hood. I enjoyed Hercules so much. It has comedy, humour and heart. The technique they use is cell animation (2d animation). I would use this animation technique because it would be a good way of trying different styles of drawing.

Aladdin (Disney film)
 


I love Aladdin. It was one of my favourite Disney films. I always enjoyed the animation, the story, the humour, and the comedy. It was interesting to see the past and what life they had in the middle east. The best part of the film was Robin Williams voicing the genie. The technique they use is cell animation (2d animation). Again I would use this technique, it has the same style of drawing as  Disney's Hercules.




Pokemon  (anime TV series, Japanese TV animation)
Pokemon is one of my favourite Anime (Japanese animation). I enjoyed watching the TV series on ITV and collecting their trading cards. I also watched a feature length animated film in the Cinema. It is my favourite Anime. The techniques they use is traditionally drawn in shapes and curved lines. Different to the cell animation made by Disney. I would use this technique if I knew which character I was creating because I would like to try different ways of drawing an animation.




1 comment:

  1. A really positive start to your blog Ibrahim, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete